Wednesday, September 8, 2010

A Little Perspective

So, in the last month I've written four or five "secret" angsty posts that I never published.

I can sum them up as "blah blah blah, evil devil boy, blah blah blah."

I think we've all heard a few versions of that story before, so I'm going to spare any readers that pain and spare me the annoyance of rehashing that tripe again.

One thing I need to do, when I find myself wallowing in the muck of my own masochistic mind when I'm grieving, is find those opportunities to truly pull myself back out of myself and get some perspective. Perspective on the weight of my own problems and the width of the world. (It's wide. Very, very wide.) There are a lot of times that I'll remind myself, "Hey, buck up buttercup because you have legs and some people don't. Get grateful." but it doesn't always work. Sometimes I'm in the wrong frame of mind and just continue to wallow in my self-pity, and sometimes I just need that specific story, that specific mirror of another's experiences to remind me that I'm not alone in the world, I'm not the only one experiencing pain and grief and there are a lot of beautiful things in the world that I could be experiencing instead.

The following short video just kicked my ass left, right and sideways. It's a little heartbreaking, and the Ethics Cop in me wonders if it's not a bit exploitive at the very end, but it's raw and more honest than most conversations.


No comments:

Post a Comment